Friday, October 30, 2009

How To Run Smart...Even In the Cold

It is only October, but the snow has already fallen a couple times (luckily it hasn't stuck around) and reminds me of the special risks that come with winter running. In a state like Utah, we often need to consider running in snow or ice conditions.  I just wanted to make a quick note about the options available:

1. Treadmill Running
Although I dislike this type or running, because part of the joy of running for me includes running in nature, a very snowy or icy day is not worth the risk.  I will often run on a treadmill to limit slips or falls that may cause injury that will interfere more with my running.  This can also be an option for rainy days or days with significant wind.  I don't do this often, but it allows training to continue.

2. Indoor Tracks
A good option on a bad day may be indoor running on a track.  Many exercise facilities will include a track.  This provides an opportunity to do speed work, like sprinting fixed distances.  If I am scheduled to run a distance, not speed work, I would rather run on a treadmill than run around a track 1000 times.  (Note: Indoor tracks are typically smaller than the tracks utilized at High Schools or Colleges).


3. Specialized Equipment
By utilizing the correct equipment to stay warm to the trunk without increasing bulk and to add traction to the shoes, running can be done even outside in the winter.  Some possible traction options include:

Yaktrax Pro

Other important considerations include staying hydrated as the cold can be just as problematic as the warmth. 

I invite you to continue to run and enjoy the running that can come with running smart.

No comments: