Saturday, March 21, 2009

Running Stores Know Runners

I had an opportunity to sit down with the store manager and shoe manager of Luke's Locker, a specialty running store here in Houston. The partnership between a good running store and their clients is a vital one. They're the ones that stay on top of the new shoe styles, monitor changes and "upgrades" and can best identify when a shoe is not appropriate for a particular runner.

Staying on top of changes in running shoes is tough. Most shoe companies will "upgrade" a shoe as often as twice a year. Why the quotes? Well an upgrade may end up being an entirely redesigned shoe with a new last but with the same name. While it may have been the right shoe for you at one time, it no longer may fit right once it was updated.

Most podiatrists are unable to keep up with the constantly changing variety of shoes. Since I see lots of runners, triathletes, and other athletes, I do my best to stay abreast of changes, but I often refer to the experts. A specialty running store has knowledgeable managers who educate their salespeople as to the appropriate shoes for foot types. Some even bring in podiatrists and other experts into their stores to run workshop for their sales staff and even for their customers.

A properly fitting shoe is vital to foot health in general, but especially if you're involved in an exercise program. Proper shoes can not solve all foot problems (otherwise I'd be out of business) but they're an important step to providing the environment that will be most helpful in healing many foot issues.

5 comments:

Rob Frimmel said...

Dr. Andrew Schneider, what is your feelings on as single brand store, ie New Balance? I know NB has a large selection to meet the needs of runners but what if NB just isn't your shoe?

Dr Marybeth Crane said...

I've always felt that a one brand shoe store is NOT the way to go. They will push only their brand. Let's face it...different brands fit differently...one shoe is not the best shoe for everybody...a good salesman will put the runner in a shoe that fits...NOT the shoe they have to sell :)

Rob Frimmel said...

Has anyone noticed how the runner shoe stores are "pushing" otc inserts ie Superfeet, NB? I think most of the time if you have the proper shoe, most people (those how are casual runners to non runners) can get by with the factory sock liner. But as we all know, there is that group of people who need a custom orthotic with a good shoe.

Rob Frimmel said...

Agree with you on the one brand shoe store.

Dr. Andrew Schneider said...

I agree with Dr. Crane about the single-brand stores. I don't usually refer there unless I absolutely know that it is the right shoe for that patient.

The running stores that I deal with in Houston do a pretty good job in determining when someone may need some extra support, but let's face it...they're salesmen! I always mystery shop these stores (or send someone to do it if they know me too well) so I know what experience my patients are getting.